-----

Newly Chromed Motorcycle Parts Are Pitting

Q. Gudday,

I've ridden motorcycles for years, but in January I was hit by an American tourist. I still have a fractured elbow, and a bike I'm nearly finished fixing. All I need is the chromed parts to be completed.

I have taken a number of aluminum parts to a chromer. Some of the parts are cast, the others are machined billet. Some of the parts are factory new, and some are years old.

Now.. some of the parts appeared to have a lacquer on them. The chromer reckoned it was in fact anodizing, although I've never heard of these sorts of bike parts being anodized before, and they didn't look like it to me.

Anyway, the parts were polished up and buffed and are being dipped in copper, nickel, then chrome.

The problem is, some of the parts keep coming up with pitting in random spots. He has shown me some of the parts, and there appears to be no particular pattern as to why one edge of this or one small spot of that has pitting.

For example, I have a pile of parts that DID turn out well. One is a machined billet foot shifting lever. However the identical right hand foot lever has pitting down one side!

Any ideas?

Mike Rider
Bike Enthusiast and Customizer - Christchurch, New Zealand

A. Talked to the chromer today and he has said something along the lines of "there definitely has been some problems with our equipment"

So maybe that will be the end of the problem. Hoping it's all good next week!

Mike Rider
- Christchurch, New Zealand