-----

Removing cobalt from hard gold dragouts

Q. Is there is a method to removing cobalt from Hard gold dragouts, and 14K drags before gold removal. The precious metal reclaimer that I deal with has told me that it is easier to analyze gold content and reclaim the gold, whether it be on a bug or in solution, if there is no cobalt present. Thanks for any help you can give me.

John Guillard
- Anoka, Minnesota

A. Hello John,
This is a new one on me. Gold bugs and resin columns have been used for decades and I haven't heard of a refiner that had a problem with a small amount of brighteners present. The gold can be determined easily either way. Cobalt concentrations in hard acid Au baths are only around 0.50% and even less in drag-out rinses. Even if it was an issue, who has the time these days to drop out, tie up, or separate a small amount of alloy from Au?

Engineering - Mesa, Arizona, USA