World's most popular finishing site / Internet's friendliest corner

Repair and paint a Fiberglass deck to restore watertightness

Q. I own a patio home and the patio is over the Garage and is our deck.
The deck flooring is made of Fiberglass and the people who owned the house before us used a metal ice chipper to remove Ice, Not the best way to treat a fiberglass floor.
Anyway the floor has a few marks that the water gets through.
I talked to fiberglass repair companies they do this work and instead of replacing the deck floor ($5,000 to 10,000) they told me it is very easy to repair and paint it using a Fiberglass paint.
Looking at the Internet it is confusing as to what type paint to use and do the repair.
I was planning on painting the spots that need it with good fiberglass paint but don't know which to use, or what else is needed?

John Nitka
Home owner and DIY'er - Hackettstown, New Jersey, USA

West System Epoxy

A. Hi John.

When you speak of painting "the spots that need it", you're not really painting, you are filling for watertightness -- and I think you should "fill" with epoxy/glass rather than with paint. Without recommending a specific brand name, I think you should get a two-part epoxy for fiberglass repairs. You can also get either a bit of fiberglass cloth or, more convenient, the fumed silica "filler" they offer to thicken up the epoxy, as plain epoxy may run through holes a bit before it hardens.

Think of it this way: if you had a leaking fiberglass boat, would you paint it or fill the dings? Good luck.

Any practical way to add pitch to garage floor?

Q. Hello I am Steven. I own a condo with a fiberglass deck over the roof of my garage. Water is leaking into the garage from the deck.I have a fiberglass roof deck that has a water puddling problem. Water lays near the patio doors. Is there a way to level deck or pitch water away from the house?

Stephen DeNaro
- Long Valley, New Jersey, USA

adv.    EPI banner