-----

How to Remove Coating from a Polyolefin Thermoplastic Elastomer

Q. I need to remove a two-part paint that is coated onto a Polyolefin Thermoplastic Elastomer (PTE) [PTE is composed of a hard segment of polyolefin and a soft segment of olefin rubber]. The PTE is extruded into a tube (1.5 mm thick) and has this two-part paint coated on the surface (about 100 micrometers thick).

The two-part paint coating is composed of a base resin formed of a fluorine coating copolymer and a curing agent formed of isocynate (it is a clear coating).

The coating on the tubes I have is peeling. I need to essential strip this coating from the surface of the PTE tubing so that I can re-coat the tubing properly. But is essential that in the process of removing the coating, I do not deteriorate the PTE tubing.

So if anyone can provide a solution or maybe point me in the right direction as to how I can accomplish this- it would be appreciated.

Najeeb Haddad
- Plymouth, Michigan, USA

A. Perhaps sand blasting can do it without distorting the base plastic. G. Marrufo-Mexico