-----

JIG - what does it mean in galvanizing?

Q. Hello guys,

My name is Michal and I'm from Poland. I'm not into galvanizing business but I'm working as a translator and I'm working on a piece of manual about a special equipment used for the process of galvanization and I'm completely lost as far as the words like: 'jig', 'jigged' and other related forms are concerned. Could you please help me out and supply a synonym and explain the meaning and function of 'jig' so I can work out a good Polish translation.

Also I've come across "jigging area". What would that be?

I'd be most grateful as I'm working on that all day today and, quite desperate by now, I've finally decided to hit the Interent forum.

Michal

Michal Skowroski
- Poland

A. Hi, Michal.

A "jig" would mean a rack or holding fixture appropriate to the process in question. The meaning is not unique to galvanizing, but could apply to any metal finishing operation. If, for example, 20 lengths of pipe were mounted together on some sort of fixture to be galvanized, that fixture might be called a jig. If 500 chrome plated car emblems were placed on a rack designed for holding and conveying electrical power to them, that might be called a jig.

I would say that 'jig' is slightly more vague than "plating rack" , and might be used in other fields. If a welder wanted to make a fabrication from several components, and he made a fixture with clamps, etc. to temporarily hold the parts in alignment for the welding, he might say he was "jigging it up".

Although there is nothing wrong with the word "jig", I think it tends to be casual and non-descript.

A. I use "jigs" I have made by bolting them down on the bed of my mill, to allow me to quickly place parts in exactly the right position repetitively.

Brad Gothard
- Blackpool Lancashire, UK