-----

How to prepare hot rolled sheet for priming & painting?

Q. Hello everyone, I found a lot of useful information on this site; however I've not been able to find what exactly I'm looking for.

I have installed Hot Rolled sheets for my roofing. These have not been sand blasted before installation. The sheets have an overlap of 3 inches on each other. They have been welded to each other at intervals of 4 inches.

My query is what protective paint and primer should I use for the protecting them from rust. Secondly, is there any solution that I can use to clean them of all the oil and grease (the blackish dirt on them) before painting. My main issue is surface preparation as I have not sand blasted them.

Please guide me with this, as I have been looking everywhere, but haven't had any luck yet.

Do look at the photographs attached to get an idea of the present condition of the sheets.

58307-1 58307-2 58307-3

Thanks in advance

Shahab B
- Bangalore, Karnataka, India

A. Use a solution of Trisodium phosphate; scrub and rinse well. If you can get hold of some zinc phosphate solution, icing on the cake; spray on, let dry, prime and paint.

Ronald Zeeman
Coil Coating - Brampton, Ontario, Canada

A. Hello Shabab,

If it's not too late, still use Galvanized Steel Sheets, or precoated steels sheets instead of HR Steel; you won't have to redo the roof in 5 years.

Khozem Vahaanwala
Khozem Vahaanwala
Saify Ind
Bengaluru, Karnataka, India
saify logo