-----

Urgent question: Surface roughening/coating for welding prep

I am looking for a rough surface finish on a piece of Ni alloy along with a thin, non conductive coating to prep it for welding. This is all the information I have been given to proceed. What are some good keywords to search when looking for vendors who could do a job like this? Is surface roughening the same as grinding? Abrasion? What about non-conductive coatings to prevent corrosion? Any help would be appreciated!

HP Sardar
- Easton, Pennsylvania, USA

Hi HP. We are all placed in difficult positions from time to time, and I understand that you find yourself in one at the moment. But surface finishing is a complex industrial science and it is very difficult to answer even the best formed questions. To hope that you will find the right solution when you don't even know what the question is, isn't realistic in my estimation :-(

I can't figure out the question myself, but maybe a reader with significant experience in welding of nickel will recognize the situation. Good luck.

HP, please clarify: are you planing to first make Ni surface rough, and then coat it for welding?

Nickel rough surface can be obtained similar to Al or Fe roughening - by pitting process. It is possible to control the size of pits, the density, and the depth.

Why do you need to coat such rough surface before welding - we do not understand. Please explain.

anna_berkovich
Anna Berkovich
Russamer Lab
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
russamer labs banner