ECGraining to Roughen Aluminum

(2000)

Wish to achieve roughened surface on Al-Mg alloy via electro chemical graining. Generally, folks (litho sheet apps) attempt to achieve very fine graining to enhance resolution. I'm trying to obtain the opposite result. Would appreciate information regarding electrolytes, anode materials, voltage/current, current density, exposure times and upper end roughness limits.

Edward Patrick
- Murrysville, Pennsylvania

(2000)

I believe I would look for references for metallurgical etching of this alloy for microscopic examination, since the purpose of this procedure is to reveal the grain structure of the metal. anode materials are probably an "inert" material such as carbon or steel in an alkaline solution. electrolytes, voltage/current, current density, and exposure times are all interacting factors which will affect the result. upper end roughness limits: rough as a cob, I'd say:-)

I don't understand what result you are trying to achieve, is the result decorative or related to adhesion of subsequent treatments?

Regards, tom

pooky
tom pullizi signature