Cadmium In Chinese 18K Gold over Sterling Silver Earrings?

WEEKS AGO, MY WIFE PURCHASED A CHAIN AND 14K WHITE GOLD CROSS. AFTER 1 WEEK SHE DEVELOPED A SORE UNDER THE CROSS. IT WAS MADE IN CHINA AND I RESEARCHED IT AND I THINK THAT THERE IS CADMIUM IN IT. WE RETURNED IT. YESTERDAY SHE PURCHASED A PAIR OF EARRINGS FROM PENNEY'S, 18K OVERLAYED WITH STERLING SILVER, AND YOU GUESSED IT, MADE IN CHINA. IT SEEMS LIKE EVERYTHING WAS PULLED FROM THE INTERNET ABOUT CHINA AND CADMIUM. CAN You HELP. ANGELO

ANGELO PALMIERI
buyer - JENSEN BEACH, Florida, USA

Hi, Angelo.

We can't say whether a specific piece of jewelry has cadmium in it without analyzing it. Nor can we say whether that is what is responsible for the rash. Lots of people are allergic to nickel, and may others get rashes perhaps related to bacteria or fungu from jewelry that has no allergen metal in it. But as to the question of whether it is possible that it has cadmium in it, the answer is absolutely! It's not just children's jewelry that is loaded with cadmium; adult jewelry from China often has very substantial amounts of cadmium in it too (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/02/03/health/main6168784.shtml )

Although I don't believe that anything on this subject has been "pulled from the Internet", it is certainly true that if a small American jeweler did once what we let China do every day, the owners might die in jail. If a plating shop in America accidentally dropped a piece of that jewelry down their toilet, they would exceed their discharge limit by a factor of hundreds. Plating businesses have been shuttered and owners have gone to the penitentiary for putting into a sewer what may have been less cadmium than what was in a typical piece of trademarked children's jewelry from China last year :-)

Sir:

Also check for nickel.

Dr. Thomas H. Cook
Galvanizing Consultant - Hot Springs, South Dakota

Angelo, Where did you get the idea that the problem is caused by cadmium? It is more than likely to be nickel, which until recently was an accepted additive in the western world for hardening both gold and silver. It is now prohibited, at least in Europe and hopefully the USA. Although the articles are made in China, it is the responsibility of the importer to ensure it meets local sales standards. I suggest your wife goes to a dermatologist and gets tested for nickel allergy - an estimated 10-15% of the population suffer from it.

Hi, Trevor.

The local news is different in the UK than in the USA, I'm sure, but we have had major incidences of cadmium problems in Chinese jewelry. Millions of pieces of Disney-labeled children's jewelry were recalled last year after tests showed Cadmium content as high as 70%.

Nickel causes dermatitis and I wish it were not in any jewelry, but it's legal in the US. Cadmium is not just an allergen but a chronic bioaccumulative poison whose presence in children's jewelry was met, rather unbelievably, with a rather routine, "Oh well, accidents will happen, let's not publicly announce anything".

Ted, I am not aware of dermatitis being caused by cadmium, but I am very happy to learn if it does cause it. As far as I am aware, cadmium is a highly toxic metal, that causes vomiting and nausea, as well as attacking the lungs, kidneys and bones. However, if anyone can correct me on this, I will happily bow down to superior knowledge.

It is a pity the USA hasn't banned nickel in jewellery - it would solve a lot of dermatological problems and reduce the fears of many consumers and members of the American public.

Thanks, Trevor.

Sorry, we're focused on different wavelengths: I did not mean to claim that cadmium causes dermatitis; it's not within my area of expertise and I don't know one way or the other. I was just explaining why cadmium is in the news so the inquirer suspected that there was cadmium in his wife's jewelry and therefore suspected cadmium as the culprit.

I agree that there should not be any nickel in jewelry, and we have posted dozens of threads on that subject over the years. I am just disappointed that we've repeatedly seen cadmium in jewelry in the last several years, not in ppm quantity, but as much as 70% pure, and the problem gets no traction.

Hi guys,

I know that prolonged skin contact with cadmium causes development of sensitivity issues. One of my cadmium platers told me once that in early years he encountered these problems. Touching cadmium felt like being stung by nettles. Besides the damage it can do to organs it is a carcinogenic, mutagenic and teratogenic substance.

regards,

Jeroen

Jeroen Visser
- Geldrop, Netherlands

Q. How do we clean cadmium substrate for plating gold onto it?

mukesh goud
- india

? Hi Mukesh. Please don't post an abstract question; rather, please introduce yourself and your actual situation. What kind of component do you have that is made of cadmium, or has cadmium plated onto it, and subsequently requires gold plating and why?

Because cadmium is a biocumulative poison, here in the USA we use cadmium plating mostly only for legacy applications on critical life-dependent aerospace applications. Some other countries don't permit it at all. Please don't tell us that you are planning on putting this poison into jewelry :-(

Q. Hi Ted, we do imitation jewelry, alloy of cadmium and zinc (80 Cd & 20 Zn), over this copper, Nickel, GOLD/silver & Electrophoretic Lacquer. Upon baking at 102 °C, finding blisters on the job, when the blister is punctured the base metal is visible. So suggest the precleaning cycle for cadmium-zinc alloy.

mukesh Goud [returning]
- Hyderabad, Telangana, India

thumbsdownHi again Mukesh. Please take this opportunity to switch away from this alloy to brass, copper, aluminum, stainless steel, or even diecast zinc. I am not judging you, but I am judging the application: I believe it is wrong to make cadmium based jewelry so I won't help.