Connection Between Copper Wire and Chromium Coating

(2000)

Dear All, I coated a thin layer of chromium on a piece of silica fiber. I want to make an electrical current passing through the chromium layer. Since the chromium is not solderable, so I want to know if anyone can suggest a method that I can fix an electrical wire to the chromium layer. Currently we are trying to use silver paint to make the current conducting through from the wire to the chromium, however we still encountered a huge resistance in this connection. I will be so appreciated if anyone can suggest a good method to me. Thanks in advance for the help! Wai

Wai Man
The Hong Kong Polytechnic University -

(2007)

Wai:
How about Plating copper,gold or silver, (IE conductive) to the chromium at the edge. this would also serve to distribute the currant more uniformly, then fusion weld the conductor to the plated material (hi amps low volts) we used to plate ceramic wafer's with gold/nickel then resistance weld the leads. Good Luck.

Alan Kramer
- Addison, Illinois, USA