Ti Alloys: Electrodeposition

(2000)

I am a student at UC Berkeley trying to find out if there are any ways of plating Ti or its alloys (nitinol an equi-atomic alloy of Ni and Ti). Any type of plating onto substrates of silicon is what I am mostly interested in. I have found some comments saying its not possible to deposit on certain metals:

letter 4075: Titanium plating - I would like to know if Titanium can be electroless or electroplated onto steel and cast iron? Thank you very much for your time. Mark
Mark Robidoux -
Malvern, PA

- No. Titanium cannot be electroless or electroplated onto steel and cast iron. However, alloys containing a small amount of titanium can be electroplated

I am working on Ti and alloys of it being deposited via PVD, but its super slow and I need 40 micron films. I would like to find out if it is possible on Silicon substrates and if any other alloys can be deposited other than, as indicated in letter 3892, TiCd.

Are there any baths which exist to plate Ti or its alloys is the real question. This is for micro electro mechanical devices: MEMS. Specifically for micro-needles. thanks

Ciao, Michael
University of California at Berkeley
Michael Vestel
Berkeley Sensor & Actuator Center

michael vestel
UC Berkeley - Berkeley

(2000)

I have electrodeposited titanium from an non-aqueous solution

Nazila Dadvand
- Halifax

(2003)

Can you please clarify what type of non-aqeous solution you used to electrodeposit titanium?

Michael Vestel
- Berkeley, California