PVD TiN Coating on Stainless Steel 17-4

Q. Guys, I am currently involved in TiN coating on my medical instruments. I was told by the supplier that the Coating temperature is around 900 °F or 482 °C and it takes time for 2-4 hours. My 17-4 SS age harden at that temperature as well (H900). May I know what will be the effect if the part getting coated at the same temperature as the age harden condition? what can I do to reduce the "double" hardening process indirectly?

I need help. Thank you in advance for the reply

Lau Karn Yeong
Product Engineer - Penang, Malaysia

A. TiN coating is possible at lower temperatures, especially with cathodic arc techniques. High temperature is generally required to improve adhesion and density of the deposit. In cathodic arc the Ti ions are highly energetic and high temperatures are not required. The temperature can be controlled by arc current and other deposition parameters.

H.R. Prabhakara
- Bangalore, Karnataka, India

Problem with stainless bolts in plasma chamber

Q. I have had issues with stainless steel bolts in a plasma chamber reacting with the radicals and shedding particles causing defectivity in our process. We have tried PFE, PTFA, and Aluminum fasteners and none have the tensile strength we need. I am wondering if there is a passivating coating or surface treatment we could use to make the surface of the bolts less reactive. The finish would need to be durable to installation, torquing to 35 in/lb with a slotted head. What kind of options are out there?

Kyle Smith
- Lehi, Utah USA

? Hi Kyle. I'm having a little trouble following, perhaps because I have very little experience in plasma chambers. But you are not talking about producing PVD coated stainless bolts as your product line ... rather you are describing a problem you are having with the bolts that hold your chamber together?

Electroless nickel plating should solve the problem at much lower cost than gold plating which would be another option.

finishing.com is possible thanks to our supporting advertisers, including this one:

CMLSbanner