Agitation for Electroless Ni

(2000)

I am looking for a better way to agitate my parts in an electroless nickel tank(3 or 4 liter beaker). The majority of the jobs are contact type parts with a length of 1/4" or less and an ID of .010". We are having problems with dark ID's and/or missing plating. I understand that increased agitation will increase the plating rate of the bath and that is OK.

What I really need is a way to increase the agitation. Does anyone have any ideas other than manual operator agitation that may help us out. We are currently looking at a plunger style agitator that will lift the parts from the bottom of the beaker and move them around pretty well, but that involves operator involvement. Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks in advance

Wade Graham
- El Cajon, California, USA

1 of 2 simultaneous responses (2000)

That is asking for a lot. 0.010" ID will have a strong capillary action and will resist normal solution flow thru it. Granted, printed wiring boards plate some tiny deep holes quite well, but it is a lot simpler to force liquid thru them, and they are not normally 0.250 thick. How are you doing them now, and how deep does the plating go. Be as specific as you can. Most of us have run lab plating size prototype work and might possibly be of help.

2 of 2 simultaneous responses (2000)

Since you are using such a small volume. I would try something like a aerator used on an aquarium with a plastic tube down into the solution.

Phil Pace
- Tulsa, Oklahoma

(2000)

Use of nitrogen gas bubbles as an agitator

Nazila Dadvand
- Halifax

(2000)

A laboratory filter (in tank) will filter and agitate the solution. Although I am biased (as a distributor) I think it would be an excellent solution if the cost is not a limitation ($400+)

Gene Packman
process supplier - Great Neck, New York