-----

Nickel vs. Chrome Plating for Outdoor Cookware

What is the best plating (Nickel or Chrome) when the item is used for campfire cooking. For instance, a portable folding cooking rack that is placed directly over the fire and can be used to cook burgers and dogs, etc...

Michael Lane
- Ringgold, Georgia, USA

Lots of people have nickel sensitivity - certainly if food is going to come into contact with it, I would avoid nickel like the plague.

For some description of the symptoms, check this site for letters regarding people and complaints about white gold rings (wedding bands and the like).

Jim Gorsich
Accurate Anodizing Inc.
Compton, California, USA
accurate anodizing banner

Regarding my previous response - I don't know that I would necessarily trust Chrome either... go to your local bar-b-que store and see what their grills are made out of, I'm betting stainless steel with no coating.

Jim Gorsich
Accurate Anodizing Inc.
Compton, California, USA
accurate anodizing banner

Stainless steel is the best option-forget chrome and nickel.Hope it helps and good luck!

- Cerovski vrh Croatia

Hi, Michael. I agree with Jim and Goran that stainless steel is the best option. However, I do not agree that nickel plating poses danger in this application. Nickel-plated bakery racks, oven racks, and kitchen tools have been a commonplace for decades. Intimate skin contact (jewelry and piercings) is one thing, but food touching nickel plating is not the same thing.