-----

Need help on a brushed brass elevator

Hi, I own a business that does stone, wood and stainless steel restoration. I am facing a challenge in a hotel. The have brass elevators that have the typical scratches that you see in most elevators. I am guessing that the actual surface will not be much different to match the grain and sheen, but my issue is that there seems to be some sort of coating or patina on it. I tried a test spot lightly today I think I used a 320 sponge block to just test it. I did it on a corner down at the bottom to be inconspicuous. It immediately polished to a super high sheen. So then I tried an 80 grt sanding sponge.. Still pretty much the same thing. do you guys have any idea of what type of coating or patina that they may have applied to these things? The elevator manufacture is OTIS. Thanks for the help

Tom Cigno
Restoration - Avon, Colorado, USA

Coatings varied on the elevators from date of manufacture. First and most common was clear lacquer. Second was polyurethane, and third and very rare was PVD. Instead of sanding just try a little lacquer thinner.

Robin Theade
metal finishing - Toronto, Ontario, Canada