-----

Controlling silver tarnish for an antique effect

I am an assemblage artist, constructing sculptures made from common objects.
I am currently working on a piece that includes a silver tray that I want to give a slight tarnish and then seal it with a Krylon or lacquer film. I plan to make a mild solution with elemental sulfur to create the tarnish. My question is - will the tarnishing process stop when I seal it or will it continue to darken (assuming I completely remove the sulfur solution first)?

Tom Wells
artist - Washington, DC, USA

I now have a sublimed powder sulfur (Usp, flowers of sulfur) to do the above project but find that the sulfur is not water soluble. I wish to make a sulfur solution to dip the silver piece into. How do I do that?

Tom Wells
- Washington, DC, USA