It's Tuesday 01/18/22 & your Q or A is Welcome.
Chime right in! (a "no registration" site)

-----

"Soldering vertical seams in ductwork"

"Duct Diagnostics and Repairs"
by Technician's Guide

Affiliate Link
(commissions from your purchases make finishing.com possible)

Q. 500 hundred feet to go and still on the first seam ! I am a HVAC duct installer and am currently working a job site with some pretty strict rules of how things are to be done. The situation is a 8 ft wide by 3 ft tall intake duct needs the seams to be soldered. I seem to have mastered the horizontal, but just can't get the vertical. That gravity! Any suggestions?

John Hamilton
hvac installer/avid welder - Westminster, Colorado, U.S.A
^

Q. Hi, my problem is this, I have 18 gauge galvanized sheet metal gutter that has to be installed in a very awkward position and I was told to weld the joints with a wire feed welder. I was told to do this because "it's not possible to solder on a vertical surface, only horizontal". That doesn't sound correct to me, there has to be a way, maybe similar to sweating pipe. The help of a older or more experienced sheet metal man would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Mario Ramos
HVAC, and sheet metal - Fresno, California, US
^

"Roofing, Flashing, and Waterproofing"
For Pros By Pros

Affiliate Link

A. I would assume that it would require a relatively tight joint to be able to "sweat solder" it.
Another thought is to use a low temp alloy weld rod. It seems to work well on many metals. To me, it is a misnomer to call it weld rod as it is much closer to being a "different" solder.

^

A. Vertical bead soldering is possible. It takes a lot of practice

John Juneau
Freelance flashing specialist - French settlement, Louisiana
^