-----

Aluminum Motorcycle Frame Cleaning: best product / method is?

Hi, My 1987 motorcycle's aluminum frame looks great except for the area around the battery where the battery vented, and due to a missing vent tube, the aluminum has a bunch of gunk on it and does not look good. I am not interested in polishing the frame. I am just interested in using the best product to clean the frame. I think there is some kind of coating on the aluminum frame as it has never discolored or clouded or whatever since I bought it new in 1987. This issue on the frame occurred in the 5 years I did not own it: yep, bought it new, sold it, regretted it, bought the same bike back. Thanks for the help.

Andrew Kazensky
Hobbyist - Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA

The so-called 'gunk' should be a conglomeration of dust particles and oxidized metal from the battery contacts. The starting point would be to scrub it with soap and water. They make scratch-free abrasive pads for cleaning kitchenware, that might come in handy.

I don't know what the lacquer paint coating your bikes frame can handle chemical wise, so I am a bit hesitant to recommend harser (yet faster) routes, as they could ruin the finish.

Robert H Kinner
- Toledo, Ohio