-----

Dry Lube Application and Thickness for Hardcoated Aluminum

I am the Process Planner/ Engineer in an Anodizing Company in Baltimore. We are trying to set up the Dry lube process for pre-finished Hardcoat parts. I have done some testing using regular brushes because the area I have to apply the film is a small bore. I want to use something automatic that gives me a more uniform coating. I have thought about an air brush but I don't know if I can use it, the dry lube is solvent base Everlube. Does anybody have any experience using and airbrush or what is the best way of application for my case?

Also, I don't know which is the best way to measure the thickness of the dry Lube, I have used a micrometer in a test panel but the area where I have to apply is an ID. Any suggestions?

Andrea Saulsbury
Process Planner/Mechanical Engineer - Baltimore, Maryland, USA

Andrea,

I have seen painting equipment that has a nozzle with a circular pattern and small wheels attached to it that allow it to be drawn through a bore. It might have to be custom made for you.
As far as measuring thickness you need an eddie current or a magnetic measuring instrument to do this. There are several companies out there that supply these instruments. Just type "eddie current instrument" into your browser and I'm sure it will return many hits.

Tim Hamlett
Tim Hamlett, CEF
- West Palm Beach, Florida, USA