-----

How to do plating on stainless steel, and where can I buy the product?

My name is Don, I have lots of headache when I tries to do plating on stainless steel. Sometime it work fine and sometime its not. I am using nickel plating (midas) 1.5 volts before I do gold plating, but result's no good. Please help, Wood's Nickel is ? Do I need to buy this and where can I buy.... please show me how to buy and the methods of plating ( How many volts, etc....) thank you

Don Truong
jewelry design - Houston, Texas

simultaneous

I think that Midas is a brush plating vendor. Get their operations sheet and follow their recommendations. For several metals, like SS, you will need a strike before the nickel build before the gold. I would expect that they sell this. since you do not have extensive plating experience, it is normally best to stick to one company's products.
Talk to the OEM for Midas, they should have some level of tech service if they want to keep you as a customer. If not, consider switching to another vendor.

Don-
I would suggest that you get a copy of the Metal Finishing Guidebook. In the short term, you should be able to find everything you need by doing a search for Wood's Nickel on this website. Don Baudrand, for instance, has recommended a solution containing 32 oz/gal Nickel chloride and 12 fl. oz/gal hydrochloric acid. You will need to strike plate at 75-100 ASF for 2-3 minutes. Good luck.

Jon Barrows
Jon Barrows, MSF, EHSSC
GOAD Company
Independence, Missouri
goadbanner4

Nickel Chloride Strike (Woods), 2 pounds per gallon nickel chloride, one quart per gallon Hydrochloric Acid, Bagged Rolled Depolarized Nickel Anodes (removed when not in use), 9 volts rack, 12 volts barrel, 2 minutes. Look in the Yellow Pages for chemical suppliers of nickel chloride and HCl.

probertbanner