Adhesive for Copper Tabletop

(2000)

I am covering a table with copper sheeting and have not been able to find an acceptable adhesive. Any ideas? -N

Noelle Leese
- Austin, Texas

(2000)

I'd also like to cover my kitchen countertops with copper.

Is this practical.

How do I do this.

I saw a copper counter top in a bar it looks beautiful

Tony Silva
- Newark, New Jersey

E6000 Auto/Industrial Adhesive

(2001)

I am also interested in covering my kitchen island in copper sheeting and wonder about the practicality of this.

Also, any suggestions on where to order this?

Sue Danuser
- Alpharetta, Georgia

(2001)

I covered the edging of my counters - it's a bullnose wood edging - in copper sheeting. I used E6000 glue =>
which served it's purpose for me. It's not very smooth but then I wasn't looking at that. The copper doesn't stay shiny and I haven't polished it since I put it on (about 2 years now).

B. Reid
- Austin, Texas

(2003)

I would like to know how to cover a kitchen countertop with copper sheeting

Linda Hutchinson
- Kent, Ohio

For counters, a 24 gauge (16 oz) copper works great. It can be cut with hand shears or any sheet metal shop can cut it for you. Construction adhesive works good for adhering it to a surface. You can protect the copper surface with several coats of lacquer.

Don Angelo
color copper
Spring Hill, Tennessee

Handbook of Adhesives & Sealants

I've got 16-ounce copper sheet over two-inch thick plywood as a counter in my home. I used contact cement between the top of the wood and the bottom of the copper, applied exactly as Formica is installed. I wrapped the overhang around the edges and pinned them to the bottom of the wood with copper roofing nails every four inches. It has worked and looked perfect for five years.

I'm planning to do the same for an outdoor table but will use a flexible marine adhesive, 3M 5200, in 3/8" beads on 4-inch centers to handle the extreme temperature variations. The adhesive takes several days to cure, so I will wait before bending, wrapping and pinning the edges.

Balsamic vinegar, grass clippings and shredded steel wool will turn new copper into an aged masterpiece in about a week.

Robert Wood
- Williamstown, Massachusetts