Half-Silvered / Half-Mirrored Lightbulbs

(2000)

I have searched in vain for a small lightbulb with a half-silvered globe. While this type of lightbulb is commercially available in several configurations, my product requires a low wattage (4-7 watt) candelabra base bulb. I'm resigned to having off-the-shelf bulbs plated or bright-dipped or whatever technique would be most cost effective. The end result should be a mirror finish. I'd appreciate any input relating to best method to achieve this as well as any leads for jobbers that might be able to supply. Thanks, Al

Al Dorsa
- St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands

(2000)

I was drifting down the electrical aisle at the local hardware store yesterday, and saw golf-ball size/shape candelabra base bulbs. The top half of the bulb was reflectorized inside. They were manufactured by Abco and called "chromed vanity lamps". I didn't have your letter with me, so I didn't remember to note the wattage, but it sounds very easy to reduce the wattage either by wiring two in series if your device uses two bulbs, or by inserting those 'bulb-saver' button diodes into the sockets.

I am having the same problem locating a 7 watt half-mirrored bulb. did you have any luck? Did you produce them eventually?

John Hopp
- tel-aviv, israel

Hi, John.

I'm seeing several styles of 25 watt half-mirrored bulbs at 1000bulbs.com, but nothing smaller. A "bulb-saver" might bring it down to about 15 watts draw.