Pot left on the burner for 6 hours; are the fumes dangerous to your health?

How many of us has forgotten a pot on the stove, and come back to discover it burning. I left for work and was gone 6 hrs. and came back to discover I did exactly this. I'd forgotten a small stainless steel (?)farberware pot on the stove burner with 3 eggs boiling and just enough water to cover them. I arrived home and upon opening the door, thick, noxious smelling fumes poured out. I ran in several times my nose covered with a thick wet cloth,opening doors, windows,turning on fans. I stayed outside for 6 hrs. working, and waiting for space to be breatheable. Next day I vented the house again for the full day. Slept in my room with room venting, overhead fan circulating the air. The smoke infiltrated the house, drawers, closets, clothes. Is this smoke dangerous and does it cling to items and surfaces. The smell has not completely gone away...house smells like a heavy smokers house.

Ambray Gonzales
homeowner - Austin, Texas, U.S.A.

Hi, Ambray. The stainless steel pot is not as issue. The burned-to-charcoal eggs probably do smell horrible, but this is so common that I doubt it's dangerous. Some reported cures are simmering vinegar or citrus fruit rinds, or the use of incense for long enough to mask the small until it dissipates. Baking soda, of course, anywhere it's practical to sprinkle. Good luck.