-----

"Heat Treating and Magnetism in 400 Series Stainless"

I'm in a pickle. I had a machine shop making an impact tester for me. The drop mass is held by an electromagnet so we chose a 400 series stainless steel for the impact mass. The unit may be used in rain so I was choosing something not likely to rust. We checked the part for magnetism and seemed to be ok. He then decided to heat treat it. When it got back it seems like the magnetism is greatly reduced. Would that be expected in a 400 series stainless? I've read where heat treating certain stainless would cause it to loose magnetism, and I'm wondering if that applies to the 400 series or not. Sadly, I'm guessing that it does. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Paul Elliott
Engineer - Salem, Indiana, USA
^

What was the exact alloy and the heat treatment parameters (time, temperature, etc.)?

Toby Padfield
automotive component manufacturer - Michigan, USA
^