-----

"Quantitative analysis of Saccharin in Nickel Plating Bath"

how can I analyze the Saccharin concentration in a nickel bath?

Frank Kirschner
Hobbyist - Stollberg, Germany
^

A. It requires analytical equipment that is well out of the price range of most hobbyists.

^

Q. Hello

I analyze saccharin in nickel baths by volumetric titration with NaOH (0,10M).

First I pipette a 50 mL of sample in separating funnel then add 1 mL of conc. HCl 25mL of Ethyl Acetate mix for about 2-3 min for layers to separate. I wash the solution of ethyl acetate with water 2 times and then I add 25 mL of methanol add 3 drops of phenolphthalein and titrate with 0,1M NaOH until the color changes to slightly pink.

The problem is that the saccharin content is always almost the same. When I add the saccharin additive to the nickel bath and when I do analysis the next day the consumption of NaOH is almost the same. I made analysis after 3 days and still the same.
Have anyone any idea why is this happening?
I'm confused and I can't be sure how much saccharin I've got in the nickel bath.

Bojan Koren
- Bovec, Slovenia
^

Q. Hello.

Is nobody here who could give an advise for this problem?

Bojan Koren [returning]
- Bovec, Slovenia
^

A. Hi Bojan,

I am not going to pretend to be an expert about saccharin in nickel baths, but a couple of thoughts for you:

Firstly have you considered that you are just not depleting the saccharin very much? It may be, as an additive the depletion rate is very low, consider it will not be plated out like the nickel, but will be depleted by things like drag out from your nickel. If the process is well controlled your losses may be very low.

Secondly, to settle your mind set up a series of standards with known amounts of saccharin present. Carry out your analysis and then if you get the same results you do have something to be concerned about with your technique.

Brian Terry
Aerospace - Yeovil, Somerset, UK
^