-----

"How can I fully restore the plating on old watch bands?"

I own a jewelry repair shop and jewelry store. I get people in all the time asking me if I can re-plate their watch bands for them. I've tried what I could with what limited knowledge I have, and I just can't seen to get a nice, bright, clean, shinny, plated finish. Most of what I get in is gold plated. Not really sure what other plating is under there. Does anyone know how to perform such an operation? Or is it simply not worth the trouble?
Gary

Gary Marinelli
goldsmith - North Tonawanda, New York, USA
^

Hello Gary,
Because of all the different alloys (colors) of gold it would be a difficult venture for you. You could plate a band and the customer would not like the color. Too yellow, too pale, too red, etc. Then you have the high cost of gold. My honest opinion is that it would not be worth the time, cost and effort. I called on a band mfg in NYC some years back and he ran four color gold baths and always had trouble matching colors on the watch cases.

process engineer - Malone, New York
^