-----

"Freshness of electroless nickel bath vs. speed"

Does the freshness of the solution affects how well my electroless Nickel deposition goes? I've prepared my solution 2 weeks ago and the deposition was fine and uniform. As week goes on, I've tried another attempt but at a longer period time in the deposition bath. The end results was only a slight deposition. This make me think that did the freshness of my solution affected my results?

Another quick follow up is that, the thickness of your nickel deposition is proportional to the time you soaked into a bath?

Edwin Jian Xiang Pang
R&D - Malaysia
^

First of two simultaneous responses -- April 9, 2010

Most electroless Ni is initially made up at 100% which makes it fast. After that you need to do the recommended analysis and replenish the appropriate amount. Most EN's are replenished to the 95% of the original for best results.
Deposition depends on time,temperature, pH and concentrations.

Analyze and keep the factors within the operations manual limits for optimum results.

Do not forget the agitation requirements and the tank stripping requirement.

^

Second of two simultaneous responses -- April 11, 2010

Edwin,
Yes. Nickel deposition from EN bath is proportional to the dipping time in the bath. It also depends on a lot of other factors :
1. Your bath MTO.
2. Bath temperature.
3. Nickel content
4. Bath pH

SK Cheah
- Penang, Malaysia
^

Check the MTO and orthophosphite content, if these go beyond optimum the bath performance will go down

ANVER SULAIMAN
- Mysore, Karnataka, INDIA
^

Edwin,

The gap /older the solution, surely decreases the plating rate, as there are by-products as impurities in the bath of chemical reactions. You need to remove them to improve the plating rate.

regards

Keshava Prasad M
- Chennai, India
^

Fresh bath will contribute to optimum alloy deposition, once the bath aging, the rate of deposition decrease. This is because of the products saturation.

Cia Ming Thong
- Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia
^