-----

"How to remove two coats of paint and primer off of enamel or porcelain coated patio table?"

I bought this table and four chair set from garage sale and slowly the first layer paint started to chip. Then I noticed another layer of paint underneath that one. Now I can see a white layer which looks like a primer and just below the primer layer is a ceramic or enamel or porcelain layer! It has chipped so badly on the table and chairs I need to do something. I thought if I removed all the paint and primer I could see what shape the bottom layer is in and maybe just leave it unpainted. I have tried to google for ceramic type coating on patio furniture and nothing seems to pull. Have you come across this and know anything about how to remove the paint without damaging the ceramic bottom layer. The set is heavy so I am assuming the ceramic coating is over wrought iron.

Deanne Broughton
D-I-Yer Home Owner - Brush Prairie, Washington
^

Hi, Deanne. You don't have enough information about this item, and can't get enough information about it, for anyone to propose a sure fix. You can try turpentine and see if it removes a layer of paint. If that doesn't work, you can try aircraft stripper, although it's really noxious and requires rubber gloves, goggles, and excellent ventilation. This will remove nearly any paint, but I wouldn't be confident that it will not remove what you are calling "the ceramic coating". Good luck.

^