-----

"Chrome plating run-out"

We typically specify a .080 inch runout on edges of chrome plate surfaces for aerospace parts. However, I have no idea how that is achieved in practice. Can I get a brief description on how this would be done in a plating shop?

Brian Kerluke
Product designer - Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
^

It takes a lot of experience and skill, but the best way is to fabricate a coforming anode that includes a current shield designed to produce the runout in the as-plated condition. You may be able to find a hard chrome plating consultant in your area that can assist you with the anode design. If there isn't someone nearby, there is a company in the US that specializes in fabricating no-mask conforming anodes for hard chrome plating. I believe that they can do it from a part drawing.

Jon Barrows
Jon Barrows, MSF, EHSSC
Independence, Missouri
^