The world's most popular metal finishing site, and striving to be the internet's friendliest corner

Can gold be reclaimed from old ceramic dishes with gold trim on the edges

Q. Would it be profitable to reclaim gold from broken antique china dishes and if so what process should be used?

Mike Job
treasure hunter - Lockport, New York, USA

A. It's normally very thin and is a waste of time and effort to try and recover the gold. From my experience, the gold value usually runs about $0.05 per square inch, or less, of the area covered by gold.

Chris Owen
- Nevada, Missouri, USA

A. I find that a general response that it is not worth the time or effort to reclaim gold from pottery pieces or fine china assumes that the gold is only a small percentage of the piece that can be processed -- you have mirrors, picture frames, china jugs, all kinds of possibilities. And also a more meaningful response would not be put into a scale that relates to sq inches; it has to be converted to gold value and oz. -- that way a true recovery value can be calculated.

Earl Olmstead
- Hermitage, Pennsylvania

thumbs up signThanks Earl! But we have more than 60,000 questions on this site and this particular one seemed to be about broken antique china dishes with gold on their edges, rather than being about mirrors, picture frames, china jugs, etc. I think Chris' answer that they are worth about $0.05 per square inch of gold-covered area was extremely helpful and takes into account the "common" thickness, purity, density, and value of gold.

Without actually doing the recovery, how can an individual like Mike practically estimate the ounces of gold and value of the edging on his china to determine if it is worthwhile? Surely, investing $50 to recover the gold so he can determine whether the gold value was $.05 as Chris estimates or $.50 if Chris was off by a factor of 10 isn't the answer. Thanks again.

Q. I have a broken French Limoges bowl with VERY thick gold leaf grapes on the exterior. Is there a way to remove the gold?

Sheila Cook
- portland, oregon, US

A. Hi Sheila. If it's that thick, scrape it off with a razor sharp tool. Make sure you're wearing goggles; you don't want a chip or the corner of a razor blade in your eye. Good luck.

A. The problem with recovering gold from glass or ceramics is that what you see is not surface gold. It is very finely divided gold suspended in a glaze. That is, the gold metal is dispersed in a low melting glass.

There is no practical method for an amateur to extract it and professional refiners do not find it economic, even at today's gold prices.

Sorry but old glazed pots are zero value scrap.

Q. I came across the "holding tray" part of a vintage WA Italy 24K gold plated warming set. It was mixed in with the silver, brass, etc., but I KNEW that color was GOLD. After some research, BINGO. I was right. Do I have more than $2.99 worth of gold on this? It's a pretty good size and I see no wearing on it. It's probably not worth selling on its own because I don't have the rest of it lol.

54096-1b   54096-1a  

Amaliya L [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
Collector - Peoria, Arizona USA

A. Hi Amaliya. My guess is that you are correct that it is gold plated. But I doubt that anyone will know how thick the gold plating is, and therefore its value. Recovering the gold is usually more costly than its gold value, so I'd suggest trying to find a wicker bread basket or ceramic serving dish of the right size to fit into it, and try to make use of it :-)

Q. Good morning! I have a very large cornucopia vase totally covered in gold with embossing. It's from the 1930s and I believe purchased in Italy. Is there a way to determine if the gold is real without destroying the vase.

Gerry Morgan
- Benson, North Carolina, USA

Antiques Roadshow

A. Hi Gerry. There are acid tests for gold as described in topic 42765, and there are electronic gold testing machines. You can search the site for "gold testing", but if you feel that this piece is valuable, I think you should take it to a reputable antique dealer for assessment. As we see on Antiques Roadshow, expertise and historical knowledge easily trumps testing.

Ceramic gold glazes are effectively encased in glass.
Neither chemical or electrical testing will work.
X-ray fluorescence analysis should be fine if you can find someone with the kit.
However the gold value of a glazed vase is near zero and reclaiming any gold would be extremely difficult and far outweigh the reward. Not to mention destroying the vase.

A. If you think it might be a significant amount the answer to the question how do you go about reclaiming it is to crush into a fine powder and pan it as the gold is significantly heavier it will remain the last thing in the pan.

angela wilson
miner assayer of rock and precious metal - san diego california united states

Q. Hi, my name is Lyn and I recently inherited my grandmother's china set. My cousin shipped it from California & many of the plates broke. Would it be worth salvaging the gold on it? There's a lot of gold it seems.

Lyn Morales
- Whigham, Georgia

A. Hi Lyn. It sounds highly unlikely to me, but take one broken plate to a "We Buy Gold" shop and see what they say. As Geoff notes, even testing it is difficult.

thumbs up sign  Thanks Ted!!!

Lyn Morales [returning]
- Whigham, Georgia

Q. I have about 200 square meters of glass as described in this link: http://www.artlaminatedglass.com/sale-11163673-24k-gold-solid-double-laminated-glass-frameless-tinted-reflective-glass.html
Any comments on A - Reclamation of the gold, or B - Removing the gold to sell the glass?

Andre Coetzee
- Klerksdorp, North West Province, South Africa

A. Hi Andre. That link says little unfortunately ... it's an offer to sell glass of almost any thickness, almost any type, any color, with any kind of edges, for architectural, furniture or automotive use, and there is no indication how much gold is on it.

I'm not an expert on such glass, but quick googling indicates that such gold coatings sometimes approximate 20 nanometers in thickness. If that estimate is about right, there could be 4 cc's of gold there, which isn't insignificant -- but I don't know how to practically recover it. We'll see what, if anything, other readers say :-)

September 16, 2019 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. Hi there!
How can I confirm that my very old ceramic lamp is gold-plated?

Thanks in advance,

XS

Xavier Stephenson
Hobbyist - Montreal, Canada

A. Hi Xavier. It probably isn't; it's probably a gold paint fired onto the ceramic like the gold edging on some dishes. You probably have thoughts in your mind that you haven't shared with us, but sorry I don't understand what you're asking yet.