-----

How to Ti plate a stainless steel 2" spherical shift knob to heat for a "burnt" look

I am currently producing 304 2" stainless steel shift knobs for cars.
I am mainly using stainless steel for the weight of it. I am looking to give them a burnt look and I believe Ti is the best and easiest to burn for the look I am going for.
I tried burning the stainless steel and it changed color but very faint and took forever to change color.
So I am wondering if there is any titanium plating or coatings that can be done that are not the gold titanium color seen on some items. Must be the silver look.
Please let me know if this is possible or some other silver metal that can be plated that can easily be heated for the burnt look.

Ryan Brecher
Product designer - Winter Haven, Florida
^

Titanium coatings cannot be applied via conventional aqueous methods. You'd need to sputter coat them.

I'm not quite sure what this "burnt look" is supposed to look like, as I don't particularly associate a silver color with anything which was burned.

If you want a titanium colored finish, e-nickel on a dull starting material can oftentimes attain this color.

Robert H Kinner
- Toledo, Ohio
^