-----

"Can I make my stainless steel appliances have a swirly look?"

I love the swirly look on stainless. Is that something I can do myself? I have all stainless steel appliances in my kitchen and would like to give them the 'swirly' look. Can I do that or do I have to order new face plates for them? Thanks so much!

Chari Fitzgerald
home owner who loves to tackle projects - College Station, Texas, USA
^

Well Chari I think what you are describing is engine turning or jeweling but I've heard it called circles, swirls or swirly gigs so I imagine we are on the same track here. In our industry we used to engine turn some of the parts in firearms. The idea was that it smoothed up the parts and the polish marks in the steel would retain lubricant. I chocked it up to snake oil and voodoo and I never dooded it no more! But it does look pretty and I can train a 6 year old to do it in under hour. The only problem is the equipment. You can't just do it by hand. You need a small mill to advance the turning brush , or the diameter of the swirlys you happen to be making. Rather than me try and explain it look at the links below and also Google engine turning or jeweling. Once you actually see it done once you will shake your head at how stupidly simple it is. You just need some pretty expensive equipment.

www.workingpsychology.com/diversions/jeweling.html

volvospeed.com/Mods/engine_turning_jewling.html

By the way it would take me at least a day to engine turn your toaster and I would be rather batty by the end of the day! ;o)

rod henrickson
Rod Henrickson

gunsmith
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

^