Plating Titanium

(2000)

I am interested in any successful plating process that will plate titanium. Bond strengths are of utmost importance.

Bill F.
- Houston, Texas

Ed. note +: Bill received so many replies that he has asked us to remove his name and company name

simultaneous (2000)

Do you want to plate titanium onto something, or something onto titanium? In either case, I would suggest you look at physical vapor deposition. I'm sure there are a number of PVD job shops in your area that can help you out.

jim treglio portrait
Jim Treglio
- Vista, California

(2000)

You probably should do a literature search. There have been several methods advanced over the last 20 years. Testing in the lab is the best way to determine which might work for you. They tend to use nasty chemicals.

(2000)

You can electroplate titanium from a non-aqueous solution. Use titanium chloride (20% in HCL)+DMSO

Nazila Dadvand
- Halifax

(2000)

I would call large quantities of DMSO a nasty. I would suggest getting an MSDS sheet on it before you try it. I would also be checking the costs of waste disposal.

(2000)

Bill, Another option for plating on titanium is brush electroplating which we use a lot for the aerospace industry. With this process you can selectively plate where you need it.

David Crocker
- Valencia, California

(2004)

Ti plating solution:

38 gms TiCl3
200 ml toluene
800 ml ethyl alcohol
o,o2 pitch or resin(smola?!)
18 C,21 A/dm2,graphite anode from Kadaner:Galvanostegija(electroplating),Kiev 1964