Zinc-Nickel/Cobalt on Aluminum

(2000)

I am seeking information about zinc-nickel vs zinc-cobalt plating. What are the pros and cons of each when plated on cast aluminum. we are trying to phase out cadmium plating.

Another item I need info. on is that after product is plated with one of the two, what type of corrosion protection film that will be conductive when colored black.

Joseph Lomastro
- Miami, Florida

(2000)

Are you presently using a black finish on your Cadmium? What is the application, what kind of part, and where is it used?

tom pullizzi portrait

(2000)

I have read your question several times and wish to offer the following information. I have had experience with folks like yourself who wish to get rid of Cadmium.

Zinc/Nickel is far superior to Zinc/Cobalt with regard to Corrosion Resistance. My suggestion would be to prepare the aluminum casting and put a layer of Electroless Nickel on it. (Thickness to be determined by your needs). After this, plate a layer of 8-10 microns of Alkaline Zinc/Nickel followed by an iridescent chromate film. I have seen such a coating that surpassed 5000 hours to corrosion of the aluminum. Any follow up questions will be responded to.

ed budman
eb sig
Ed Budman
- Pennsylvania