How to Brass Plate.

(2000)

I have an old house I am restoring with quite a lot of brass hardware that needs to be restored to it's original condition. I am very handy and resourceful and would like to know the details of how I can brass plate these items myself at home in my workshop.

Ed Michael
- Santa Maria, California

(2000)

The consensus among metal finishing professionals is that plating should not be done at home. The reason we do not recommend it is that plating involves nasty chemicals. Not only are these chemicals directly dangerous to you, but they also pose an environmental hazard when you dispose of them. I'm sure the EPA would not be thrilled they know people were bringing regulated chemicals into their garages.

I recommend that you find a local plating shop and have them do it for you. It will be more expensive, but there is good reason. Number one, the plating shop has expertise that you don't have and will more likely do a good job and give you good quality. Second, you can let them worry about handling the chemicals.

If you have a lot of pieces, then the plater will most likely do it for cheaper. Plating is done in "batches" either hanging parts on a rack or filling up a barrel. If you have enough parts to fill a rack or a barrel, then it can be done cheaper than if you had one part.

Some companies will sell you a home plating kit, but I hope you will choose to go to a professional plater. This site offers a list of platers to choose from.

tim neveau
Tim Neveau
Rochester Hills, Michigan