Test method for zinc ash content

I work for a company which sadly deals in supplying zinc ash to it's customers; sadly because this company does not know even how to test zinc ash content on it's own. I am a commercial person who has been given this portfolio and I would like to request you all if someone can let me know how to check the zinc ash content. The product we import from Egypt supposedly has minimum 70% content but at times I think customers play around and state that it is less than 70% content and then deduct some money! Because they know we cannot challenge or test it on our own.

It's a dirty business.

To be able to curtail this practice, I want to know how can I test the zinc ash content and know what percent is it?

Would highly appreciate if someone can help me with it.

Many thanks,

Paul Kelly
Sales - Karachi, Pakistan

A. I would either:

1) Dissolve and test by ICP
2) Make a calibration and analyze the powder by XRF

Both should work if the Zn content is not trace level.

Terry Tomt
- Auburn, Washington, USA

Q. How can the Zinc content of zinc ash be measured if spectrometry or other instrumentations are unavailable?

Asif Naeem
- Faisalabad, Punjab, Pakistan

Dissolve in HCl/HNO3. Bring to neutrality with NH3 (aq).

Titrate to Erie T endpoint with 0.1 M EDTA.

Come now, this is chem 101.