Painting a charcoal barbeque grill

(2000)

Q. One of our barbecue grills has recently been recalled and rejected by one of our biggest customers in US. The damage is costing us 250,000USD for recalling the product. I would like to know how we can prevent this incident from happening. The paint changes color and peels off after 3 minutes of barbecuing on a charcoal grill

Here are some basic info about our products:
1. Promotional charcoal barbecue are stamped carbon steel sheet (gauge: 0.5 to 0.7 mm)
2. Color: black and red

There are few things that I would like to know:
1. Does all powder coating or spray wet or electro paint plating contains resin? If yes, is resin the reason for causing the paint to change color or peeling off during barbecuing? Or it is the paint solution used? or it is the process?
2. What kind of coating should I use on our barbecue grill beside porcelain enamel? (it's for out promotional item retailed under 39.99) Or better yet? Any specific paint solution or process I should use? 3. Our customer tested it and believe that changing color in paint is a quality defective. Does this claim makes sense? Our paint shop claims that regardless what the paint solution or paint process is, the product will change color or paint will peel off.

Really appreciate your help! At the same time, is there any resource on the web I can learn more about coating process and paint solution in more detail?

Thank you very much!

David Kuo Sales Manager, Lien Mou

David Kuo
- Taiwan

(2000)

A. All paints contain resin. In a barbeque I imagine the metal temp will easily exceed 200-300 °C. At this temp the resin will degrade, loosing adhesion and discolouring. I suggest you consider high temp paints as used on exhaust systems for vehicles. I believe these are silicone resin based or even inorganic silicates. The latter will stand at least 500+ °C.

Roger Bridger
- Croydon, UK

A. Hi David. Problems that surface months later can be tough ones . . . but the paint peels in 3 minutes!? As a consumer condemned to buying a lot of poorly tested garbage, I don't have much sympathy when people sell me items without any attempt to determine if the product is even remotely suited to its purpose. Hopefully the loss will be spread to many parties, rather than just you, but I hope you are compensating the consumers for their precious time, not just giving their money back. :-(

Q. I want to have a BBQ hood (stainless steel) finished in a color and ask if anyone has a suggestion of what high temperature coating could be used ? Like porcelainized baked enamel maybe? Thank you for your consideration. Joe

Joe Oliveri
- Rancho Palos Verdes, California

A. Hi Joe. Real porcelain enamel would have to be applied by a porcelaining service because it isn't paint, but is a ceramic frit that is melted onto the components at a temperature of thousands of degrees. It's closer to applying molten glass than to painting, and a consumer can't do it. But there are high temperature paints available, for brushing or spraying on, that are used on barbeque grills and wood stoves -- just remember to expect a coat of paint, not heavy, hard, glossy, porcelain.

A. I work on a coil line and one of the products we coat in very large volumes is stove pipe. We use a silicone polyester paint. Before this product was offered I did testing for colour change and adhesion after stoving for 8 hours with no ill effect. Adhesion testing on coil is very strict "T bends", so this should work on your product. I don't recall the oven temperature, it was a while ago, but I think it was 500 °F.

Ronald Zeeman
Coil Coating - Brampton Ontario Canada