Wrong Finish on the Wrong Parts

(2000)

I have a patent on a miter guide for a table saw. I have a small manufacturing company where we assemble and ship them primarily to catalogs and retail chains. All the machining and finishing is outsourced. I have aluminum extrusions that are clear anodized, steel bars that are clear zinc plated, welded tube assemblies that get black oxide.

These finishes were recommended by the fabricators. They are often not uniform in appearance, The oxide parts require rinsing and cleaning before we can use them, the zinc must be hand rubbed to even out the finish and the aluminum clear anodize shows every imperfection in the aluminum beneath it.

In addition, we have a condition where a steel ball plunger tracks along an aluminum bar. The path of the steel ball plunger wears a trough in the aluminum. We need to find a way to economically harden the surface of the aluminum. I am just a regular guy who invented something. I have no expertise that would qualify me to select what finishes work best in what applications. I would appreciate input from someone who would discuss these conditions with me and look at what we are making and propose more appropriate finishes for these parts.

David Osborne
- Williamsport, Pennsylvania USA

(2000)

We can provide a solution to your aluminum wear problem. It is a chromium nitride coating applied by our unique process of high energy ion beam assisted physical vapor deposition. (Basically, we bang the coating into the surface with a chromium ion beam.) We've been able to deposit it on aluminum alloys without any problem, and with very high hardness and wear resistance. Because this is a vacuum process it is environmentally benign.

jim treglio portrait
Jim Treglio
- Vista, California

(2000)

I have steel tube which I send out for electro-plating in a brass and chrome finish. the application is for furniture, wardrobe rail and bar fittings.

I have recently heard of a tube sample which has been covered in 'foil'. I have not seen the sample to substantiate if the foil is metallic or a polymer.

Does anybody know about the existence of this foil? I know that there is foil in a paper format which is marketed by Akzel Nobel and BASF for the furniture lamination market, but as yet I have not found anybody who sells a foil that is applied on a metal substrate.

I would be very grateful if anyone could tell me:

1. something about this product;
  2. it's suitability for the application intended
  3. where it is available (preferably in Europe)
  4. how it is applied to tubing and / or metal extrusion.
  5. is it a cheap process?

Any help, guidance, links or contacts of someone who might know is gratefully received. Many thanks in advance. Mark

Mark Godson
- UK