23+ years of serious education, promoting Aloha,
& the most fun you can have in metal finishing smiley

Tin Wire metallization on Carbon Fiber

2000

I need to coat a carbon fiber structure to have it all at the same electrical potential. It will be used for space application (high vacuum, very low temperature). I planned to use pure Tin coating deposited via Wire Metallization.

I tested it in vacuum and very low temperature and everything seems OK, but now I've read something about whiskers growth on tin electroplating. Do you think that this can be applicable also to pure tin wire metallization? If yes, is there any solution to the problem? Thank You.

O.G. Rossi
- Milan, Italy

2000

Tin whiskers are not restricted to electroplating and I'm not certain it is all that common I am not sure what Wire Metallisation is, but it could apply there too. Alloy the deposit with another metal, lead 1%, as whisker growth occurs in pure metals. Tin Pest could be more of a problem, the transformation of tin beta to tin alpha, it occurs more rapidly at low temps and with pure tin. This is slowed/stopped by again alloying with other metals in very small amounts. Ian

Ian Brooke
university - Glasgow, Scotland