Is Nickel the Best Choice?(2000)
This is a follow up question generated by the great responses I got from my first question. Thanks !
I was chrome plating a part but was getting very poor coverage in a deep recess. I have learned that electroless nickel will give me much better coverage.
My questions are:
- Is this a barrel process?
- What is the proper term for this process as it compares to decorative chrome (so I can call it out correctly on the print)?
- This part will be outside probably 100 hrs/year, is the corrosion protection of nickel adequate?
- I know I've asked a lot of questions but uninformed decisions are so darn expensive. Thank you for any help.
- Eden Prairie, Minnesota, USA
Donald: I missed your earlier post, so can give you only some general guidelines. Electroless nickel should have good resistance to typical outdoor exposures, in an appropriate application and if applied correctly. That said, how you specify the coating will be important to its performance. The specification should, at a minimum, include the type of electroless nickel and a thickness range. Please contact me directly through the web link if you would like further assistance in developing the specification.
materials testing laboratory
This public forum has 60,000 threads. If you have a question in mind which seems off topic to this thread, you might prefer to Search the Site