Information Needed on Hardcoating Aluminum

(2000)

I am interested in finding information on a process know to me as "hardcoating". This process deposits a medium to dark gray film at .0005 to .002 thickness. Can I do this at myself? What chemical(s) are required? How does the process work? Thank you for any assistance you can offer.

Allen James
- Calvert City, Kentucky, USA

(2000)

Hardcoating is regular sulfuric acid anodizing, only done at 32 °F vs 72 °F. Anodizing uses anodic electricity to convert aluminum surface to aluminum oxide. Hard coat is much more expensive since it requires a power source of DC that will go to 40V and preferably 80 to 100V vs. 15 for anodizing. It also requires a massively larger chiller and heat exchanger coil as the bulk of the volts x amps is converted into heat. This is not a home project for most.