Comparison with Alodine 1200 and Alutech 15

2000

I'm working in the aerospace field and I need to use Alodine 1200. Here I've found the alutech 12 process but I can not get any infos about this coating (i've heard it's also used for aerospace). Are Alodine 1200 and alutech 12 equivalent? What's the differences?

Sylvain Ruelle

2000

Sorry, I haven't heard of it. My suggestion would be to review the latest revision of Mil-C-81706, qualified products lists for Mil-C-5541 chromate conversion coating and decide based on that: if it's on the list it is equivalent and if it is not, then it's not.

2000

According to the QPL for MIL-C-81706, Alutech 12 was made by Novamax Technologies, which became a part of Henkel Surface Technologies three years ago. Most people are familiar with the Alodine 1200 name, which comes from the former Amchem Products, which has been a part of Henkel for 20 years now.

Alodine is one of the most popular chromates around, so Henkel has not and won't be selling Alutech in this country. In your part of the world this may or may or not be true, as Novamax had a stronger presence in some parts of the world than did Henkel. I cannot find the formula for Alutech 12, but the products are probably very similar. I would recommend that you contact the Henkel office (specifically the Surface Technologies Group) in Singapore or Hong Kong.

phil johnson
Phil Johnson
- Madison Heights, Michigan