PCB / PWB Etching

(2000)

Hi, I am interested in etching my own pcbs but am hesitant. There is a etching kit available with sample boards and etchant. I am still unclear as to what is involved. I have a studied electronics for 2 years yet my teacher won't instruct as it is apparently messy. I need to be able to etch as many of the schematics are too involved for vero/perfboard. If anyone can point me in the right direction with detailed steps from say a board layout diagram to finished pcb, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you. Damien

Damien Boath
- Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

simultaneous (1998)

Hi, Damien. It may be out of your price range to buy, but perhaps your library has a copy of Coombs' "Printed Circuits Handbook" [link is to info about the book at Amazon]. It's the classic and explains in great detail everything about PCB manufacture. Good luck.

(1998)

You're probably better off using the commercially available kits. As a rule, they're based on a ferric chloride etchant, which won't hurt you if you follow the directions. Your instructor is correct, etching boards is messy, but no more so than developing film. If you want to know more about making boards, I would suggest a look at the Printed Circuits Handbook.

James Totter
James Totter, CEF
- Tallahassee, Florida

(2002)

hello there,fellow etching aspirants,

You can get a really nice PCB of your own circuit done using the simple methods given in this site..
etching: www.tonepad.com/photoessay.asp?photoEssayID=11
printing: www.tonepad.com/photoessay.asp?photoEssayID=10
enjoy the process..

Bipin GP
- Trivandrum, Kerala, India