REPAIR OF POWDERCOAT AFTER WELDING?

(2000)

I had to do some welding on a black powder coated bumper. The finish bubbled and burned off in a few small areas at the weld. Is there a reasonable way to cosmetically repair the area? The powder coat seems fairly thick, maybe .040"-.050". Body filler and paint? I mostly want to keep it from rusting and improve the appearance. Thanks

Steve Mulcahey
- California

(2000)

Steve, I would recommend you sand/feather any affected areas of "blistering" etc. Depending on the gloss of the powdercoat (hi-gloss, satin, flat ) sand to at least 400 grit for hi-gloss. You can then Bondo [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] or build to level of powder coat thickness. Aerosol paint works very well with powder paints in my experience. Good luck--Bruce

Bruce Volden
- Harrisburg South Dakota