-- The Home Page of the Finishing Industry

Chromate Cleanup Procedure and Cost

Hi, I am a postdoctoral fellow working at Stanford University. I am interested in chromate bioremediation. I have been working on chromate reductases which reduce the toxic chromate, Cr(VI), to Cr(III) from a couple of bacteria. I've found a novel chromate reductase, purified, and cloned the corresponding gene. I am currently figuring out a effective way to detoxify chromate which includes genetic and protein engineering approaches.

To implement my findings to a practical field, I would like to know information on current chromate cleanup cost and procedures which chromate industry is using. Any advice regarding information sources would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Chul-Ho Park
- Stanford, California

Costs depend on a lot of factors, but the most common way to deal with chromate wastes in the plating and conversion coating industry is reduction with sodium bisulphite at low pH (3.5 or below).

Ted Mooney, Teds signature

About 5 years ago, I read an article that described a bacterial remediation experiment that was being done at a closed chrome plating shop in Texas. The test was sponsored by the EPA and the article said that the results were very good. I remember that they were pumping molasses into the ground to feed the bacteria. Try contacting the EPA Regional office that covers Texas.

Rick Alexander
- Gastonia, North Carolina

Sounds like the Odessa Chromium I Superfund site. You may find something on the web with those keywords.

Ted Mooney,

The site for the Federal Remediation Technologies Roundtable may be of interest Http://

I hope this helps. Also, I have a few questions about chromate reductase genes if you have the time. -Brian

Brian Gibney
UMass Amherst - Amherst, Massachusetts

©1995-2018, Inc., Pine Beach, NJ   -   About   -  Privacy Policy