Silky Smooth Rubberized plastic coating

Q. I'm a car hobbyist and customizer and have done at least dozen different marathon search sessions trying to find out the name and process that's responsible for this finish.

I would describe the finish as ultra smooth silky rubber coating. which can seen on everything from computer mice and TV remotes to Car interiors. I'd describe it as almost like a powdered rubber flocking or paint. It's exceptionally flat (referring to gloss level) like a pencil eraser. The durability is outstanding, on the back of a 5 year old TV remote I own there's no signs it's ever been touched, no scratches at all ... Scraping with a fingernail leaves a mark that is non-permanent ... Rubbing the area smooths any marks back out.

I've seen it on Tools (very common because it's not slippery and it's so durable) "rubberized" impact resistant Cell phones, Aluminum PDA's and the mouse I'm currently using. I'd like to duplicate this finish on some Metal and Fiberglass custom car interior bits but I don't even know what to call the finish (rubberized doesn't seem to do it full justice, it's so silky smooth and velvety that I really enjoy touching it (if that doesn't sound weird).

Simon Juncal
Hobbyist - Culpeper Virginia, USA

thumbs up sign Hi Simon.

Some of my calculators and remote controls, and the computer keyboard I'm typing on, have those soft velvety buttons you describe, so I know what you mean -- but I don't know what the coating actually is -- nor whether it is in fact a coating or a solid plastic.

Neck Pillow

P.S.: Enjoying a tactile sensation doesn't sound at all "weird" to me; I have a neck pillow that is so perfect a balance between softness vs. resilience that it's the world's second best place to rest your head :-)

Q. Hi Simon

Did you manage to find what you were looking for? I am also interested in such paint and did some research but the results are not encouraging.

Marius

Marius Moldovan
- Dubai, UAE

A. I've been looking for just the same thing, to make some Intellimouse 1.1 mods (yes in 2012), and came across your question here.

Apparently its a polyurethane of some description.

JD Ryan

Marius Moldovan
- Dubai, UAE

Q. Did you ever find what this coating is called?

Mike Nacke
Nacke woodworks - Tulsa Oklahoma