-- The Home Page of the Finishing Industry

on this site
current topics
Live! From Pine Beach NJ: The world's most popular metal finishing website, and the internet's friendliest corner

topic 51696

Silky Smooth Rubberized plastic coating

A discussion started in 2009 but continuing through 2018

March 28, 2009

Q. I'm a car hobbyist and customizer and have done at least dozen different marathon search sessions trying to find out the name and process that's responsible for this finish.

I would describe the finish as ultra smooth silky rubber coating. which can seen on everything from computer mice and TV remotes to Car interiors. I'd describe it as almost like a powdered rubber flocking or paint. It's exceptionally flat (referring to gloss level) like a pencil eraser. The durability is outstanding, on the back of a 5 year old TV remote I own there's no signs it's ever been touched, no scratches at all ... Scraping with a fingernail leaves a mark that is non-permanent ... Rubbing the area smooths any marks back out.

I've seen it on Tools (very common because it's not slippery and it's so durable) "rubberized" impact resistant Cell phones, Aluminum PDA's and the mouse I'm currently using. I'd like to duplicate this finish on some Metal and Fiberglass custom car interior bits but I don't even know what to call the finish (rubberized doesn't seem to do it full justice, it's so silky smooth and velvety that I really enjoy touching it (if that doesn't sound weird).

Simon Juncal
Hobbyist - Culpeper Virginia, USA

thumbs up sign Hi Simon.

Some of my calculators and remote controls, and the computer keyboard I'm typing on, have those soft velvety buttons you describe, so I know what you mean -- but I don't know what the coating actually is -- nor whether it is in fact a coating or a solid plastic.

Neck Pillow

P.S.: Enjoying a tactile sensation doesn't sound at all "weird" to me; I have a neck pillow that is so perfect a balance between softness vs. resilience that it's the world's second best place to rest your head :-)


Ted Mooney, Teds signature
Ted Mooney, P.E.
Pine Beach, New Jersey
We need "Aloha" now more than ever

June 30, 2009

Q. Hi Simon

Did you manage to find what you were looking for? I am also interested in such paint and did some research but the results are not encouraging.


Marius Moldovan
- Dubai, UAE

June 14, 2012

A. I've been looking for just the same thing, to make some Intellimouse 1.1 mods (yes in 2012), and came across your question here.

Apparently its a polyurethane of some description.

JD Ryan

Marius Moldovan
- Dubai, UAE

October 2, 2018

Q. Did you ever find what this coating is called?

Mike Nacke
Nacke woodworks - Tulsa Oklahoma

If you have a question in mind which seems off topic, please Search the Site

ADD a Q, A, or Comment on THIS topic START an UNRELATED topicView CURRENT HOT TOPICS

Disclaimer: It's not possible to diagnose a finishing problem or the hazards of an operation via these pages. All information presented is for general reference and does not represent a professional opinion nor the policy of an author's employer. The internet is largely anonymous & unvetted; some names may be fictitious and some recommendations may be deliberately harmful.

  If you need a product/service, please check these Directories:

JobshopsCapital Equip. & Install'nChemicals & Consumables Consult'g, Train'g, SoftwareEnvironmental ComplianceTesting Svcs. & Devices

©1995-2019, Inc., Pine Beach, NJ   -   About   -  Privacy Policy
How Google uses data when you visit this site.