-----

"Dull Plating in Bright Tin Plating"

Current question:

Q. I work at a reel-to-reel electroplater. I am wondering if anyone knows whether Maclee bright tin additives are still commercially available?

Doug Behm
- South Plainfield, New Jersey
^

51586-1

A. Hi Doug. I tend to doubt it since Google found me nothing immediately, and it looks like their patent was allowed to expire (note, I'm not a patent attorney, this was just my impression). So I guess a creative source could start offering it :-)

^

Closely related Q&A's, oldest first:

I am operating Tin Bath at Sn2+=12G/L, Sulphuric acid At 90 Ml/L & using Brightener and Additive. Recently I am facing Dull Plating (grey) all over the body only in Barrel plating. I am operating the CD at 5-6 Volts and amps 25-40 as per our chemical Supplier. I have added additives and brighteners but still I am Facing the Problem. Please Suggest how to correct the same.

Thanking you,

regards,

Shetty Shetty
Chemist - Bengalurr, Karnataka, INDIA
^

DEAR SIR, TIN SHOULD BE PREFERABLY PLATED ON COPPER EITHER IT IS MS OR BRASS. AS MIGRATION OF IRON OR ZINC IN PLATING SOL. IS POSSIBLE.
SO UNDER COAT OF 2TO 3 MICRON COPPER IS ADVISABLE UNDER BRIGHT ACID TIN PLATING.
IN CASE OF BARREL PLATING LOW METAL HIGH ACID IS ADVISABLE TO GET BETTER THROW.
TIN METAL 10 TO 15GM/LR
H2SO4 100 TO 110 ML/LR.
TEMP 20 TO 25 OC.
ANODE AREA DOUBLE THE CATHODE
CATHODE ROD MOVEMENT IN CASE OF VAT AND BARREL RPM
IF YOU KEEP BARREL RPM MORE YOU CAN GO UPTO 15V.
STOP MIGRATION OF CHLORIDE ION IN PLATING SOLUTION.
TO PIN POINT THE PROBLEM I WOULD SUGGEST YOU TO CONTACT YOUR CHEMICAL SUPPLIER.
WITH REGARDS,

ajay raina
Ajay Raina
Ludhiana, Punjab, India
^

Thanks for the Suggestion Mr.Raina.

Shetty
- Bengaluru, Karnataka, India
^