Bar-B-Que Heat Plate Materials

Q. Hi, I'm writing to ask you a question that I imagine many people would like to know the answer to. I see from reading some of the letters on your website that people do have concerns about types of materials used in a bar-b-que, with respect to any health concerns when the material is heated by the flames. I purchased a bar-b-que from Lowe's Home Center less than two years ago. The alleged stainless steel burners were totally rusted away in just over a year as was the support plate needed to mount the burners on. The burners (five of them) had a lifetime warranty, so they were sent to me from the manufacturer for a mere $30.00 shipping and handling charge. I had to pay almost another $30.00 for the support piece which took over three months to get to me. The heat plates that go over the burners are made of porcelain covered steel. They too look like they were on the Titanic. I am willing to "manufacture" my own heat plates, as you need not be a rocket scientist to cut out 10" x 16" pieces of metal and cut some elongated holes to match the original heat plates. Problem is I thought that stainless steel would be the way to go for health concerns. The sheets of stainless will cost quite a bit so I wanted to know can aluminum be used, or just regular steel? Once the plates are considerably rusted is it a health concern to cook food over rusted plates?

Rudy Veiga
- Delray Beach, Florida, USA

A. Hi, Rudy. There are hundreds if not thousands of different stainless steels, and some are far more expensive and corrosion resistant than others, but none are dangerous. Rust is not generally dangerous either, and certainly not in the context of being on a B-B-Q flame shield. Aluminum may not be able to take the heat though, and it is impossible to clean.

sidebar

I guess we have to focus on what we think we can control, but it does amaze me that in an age where our government has given up any pretense of control over the food system, where we feed the chickens newspaper & excrement, grind sheep brains & hormones into the cow feed, import non-inspected vegetables from every filthy 3rd-world hovel, mix it all into 100,000 gallon tanks, ship it back and forth across the country shuffling it all together so we have absolutely no idea of the sources of contamination ... with salmonella, listeria, e coli everywhere, rodent droppings throughout, and poisonous adulterants deliberately added in China ... that people seem more concerned about the safety of their forks, pans, and bar-b-q grills than the food that is on them :-)
Good luck, and Regards,

A. Aluminum will not work!
If you make your own out of SS, I think that you will have more than $60.00 invested by the time that you are thru.

I think that if you filed for both types of replacement parts at the same time, then you have a right to complain about the second $30. If they were filed at different times or on different requests, then you have no complaint.

Be sure to not buy the same brand when you trash can the current one.

Why not ask why the rust is occurring? I live in central NY, and leave my grill out all year long. I cover it after every use. In the summer I roll it over into a shaded area so temp changes don't create condensation under the cover. I paid $125.00 for it 6 years ago and it still looks great. The cover cost me about $25.00.

Fellow Plater - Syracuse, New York, USA

Q. This is by far the most accessible forum for my question i have found thus far. hope you could answer me specific query:

Can I use ST-37 steel (7 millimeter thick) for cooking grill grates (coal or gas)?
How great is the risk of it warping in the heat?
Please note, my local shop offered ST-37 (I don't know if it's different than ST-37-2) but wouldn't commit to its heat resistance.

erez frankel rubner
- Tel Aviv, Israel

A. Hi Erez. I'm no metallurgist, but I always thought that unrelieved stresses from machining, welding, etc. were the cause of warping. If these are welded grates, they probably require stress relief; warpage might occur anyway as fires can get the steel red hot, and consequently soft.

My understanding is that there really is no such thing as ST-37 anymore -- that this was was just a precursor numbering system from decades ago to what we now call ST-37-2. I don't think it has much bearing on the warpage issue. Good luck.