23+ years of serious education, promoting Aloha,
& the most fun you can have in metal finishing smiley

Black Finish on Steel Black Powder Cannon

(2000)

I build small black powder cannon as a hobby. I am currently bead blasting and painting the steel parts. This has mixed results when firing. The paint sometimes gets scratched in handling or recoil. I want a more durable black finish that looks authentic(not too shiny) and that I apply myself.

Thanks for your help!

Joel White
- Goldsboro, NC USA

(2000)

Black Oxide is the finish that would be best for your application. The down side would be that you should have a reputable job shop perform the service and not attempt it yourself due to safety and environmental issues.

Tom Walen
Springfield, Massachusetts

(2000)

What metal are you using?

Cast or machined?

Generic or true replica cannon?

What size?

Any good web sites for getting dimensional plans for say a 24 pounder?