-----

Method of analysis for Palladium activator solution for plating on ABS?

Hello, I'm student of chemical engineering, and my thesis topic is about ELECTROPLATING ON ABS. I use a solution of PdCl2, SnCl2 and HCl as catalyst before Electroless Ni. But I don't know how control this Bath... which is the best method of analysis for stabilize the solution?
I hope you could help me!
Thank YOU

Carolina Alvarado
Student - Bogotá

You're not saying that the SnCl2 and the PdCl2 get mixed together? When I used to play around with EN plating, they were used in separate, successive steps.

The PdCl2 solution is not so concentrated that, especially if you are making it up on a lab scale, you can't just make it fresh each time. If you are determined to analyze for it, there are two gravimetric methods that I know of: in one, you reduce the Pd to the metal with formic acid; in the other, you precipitate it with dimethylglyoxime. I am sorry, but I don't have any more details about either method.

You can analyze the Pd concentration by taking a sample, adding 1:1 HCl, a little hydrogen peroxide and heating it for 20mins. Dilute it to volume and run it on either an AAS or ICP. Your sample size and dilution factor will depend on the concentration of your bath.
Hope this helps.

Jason Rothman, Chemist
- Pomona, California, USA